1. Coastal and marine biodiversity
Oceans cover 70% of the planet’s surface area, with the marine and coastal areas as a habitat for various marine life. The ocean, through its living and non-living resources, offers benefits to humankind. Natural living resources such as marine fisheries; and non-living resources such as oil and gas are essential to livelihoods and economies at large.
2. Coastal communities
This category should highlight the close relationship between coastal communities and the ocean, especially in job opportunities, food source, and living space. In addition, coastal communities rely on the sea for fisheries products and other sources of livelihood, e.g., tourism activities, seaweed farming, and aquaculture. Therefore, this category should provide a perspective on relations between humans, the coast, and the sea.
Rules and regulations:
- This contest is open to all Malaysians with a photograph or picture limited to Malaysia’s biodiversity and coastal community. Selected photos will be shared with the public through MIMA social media platform.
- Please include the following details at submission, i.e., Name, Date, Venue, and Background story of the picture taken.
- The contest runs from 25 May – 25 June 2021. The submission deadline is set to 11:59 pm, 25 June 2021. Entries received after this deadline will be automatically deemed ineligible.
- Please submit photographs and requested information online through email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may submit up to 2 photos for each category. To be displayed in our online gallery without being stretched or distorted, photographs must be submitted in .jpeg, .jpg, or .gif format, edited for web in sRGB colour space, at least 1,000 pixels wide no bigger than 10 MB.
Terms and conditions:
- Entrant’s winners will retain the copyright of their submitted entries. However, by winning, all entrants grant the Maritime Institute of Malaysia (MIMA) a worldwide royalty-free perpetual license to edit, publish, and use each photograph in any and all media (including print and online) for publicity, promotional, and news purposes. Please note, any entry does not mean that the entrant has won a prize.
- One contestant is eligible to win only one main prize.
- We reserve the right to disqualify improperly submitted entries, and plagiarised entries will also be immediately disqualified.
- Entries must be the original work of the entrant. Entries must not contain anything defamatory, obscene, illegal or otherwise inappropriate as may be deemed by the Organiser.
- The Organiser will not be responsible or liable for:
- Any delay and/or failure in participating in this contest due to any reason beyond the control of the Organiser; or
- Any injury, loss, problem, damages or costs of any kind suffered from participation in this contest or from accepting or utilising the prizes awarded.
- Our panel judges’ decision is final.
- Employees of MIMA, Contest Judges, and their immediate family (spouse, parents, and children) are NOT eligible to enter this competition.